The 52-Week Hike Challenge
Originally published by: 52 Hike Challenge
Did you know that getting outside has been proven to improve your wellbeing?
Regular “nature therapy,” as we like to call it at 52 Hike Challenge, is proven to help you reduce stress, improve your mood, and feel happier in your everyday life.
If you’re new to hiking or the great outdoors, we’re here to help you get started.
Tip #1. Find An Accountability Partner
(The Pitfall: Lack of Motivation)
You know that getting outdoors is good for you, but you’re struggling to get off the couch and onto the hiking trail. Sometimes the first step is the hardest. Once you get outside, you will be glad you did - we promise!
Stay accountable and committed by finding a hiking partner that will motivate you to get outside. Ask your immediate family and friends to join you. Want to take it a step further? Join a hiking community! Sign up for the 52 Hike Challenge and join thousands of new and experienced hikers who commit to hiking once a week for a year.
We have lots of resources to keep you motivated on your journey.
Tip #2: Stay Safe On The Trail
(The Pitfall: The Wilderness Scares You)
You're intrigued by venturing into the unknown, but you also feel a little uneasy about it. What if you get lost or injured on the trail? Don’t sweat it: more often than not, you will have an amazing experience in nature. But in the off-chance that you experience a trailside emergency, it’s best to be prepared.
Quick Tips to Stay Safe On The Trail:
- Tell someone where you’re going - download the 52 Hike Challenge Notice of Hike form here.
- Have an emergency plan.
- Pack the 10 Essentials.
- Dress in layers, make sure to check for the elements and weather.
- Study the trail map and carry one with you.
The more prepared you are, the more comfortable you will feel getting outside.
Tip #3. Recreate Responsibly During Covid-19
(The Pitfall: You Want To Stay Safe During Covid-19)
Especially now, while we’re experiencing a pandemic, it’s important to protect yourself and your family and be mindful of others while you’re out hiking.
How To Recreate Responsibly During Covid-19:
- Trek on less populated trails.
- Avoid single track trails.
- Opt for wider trails like fire roads.
- Don’t hike during peak times.
- Have your face cover ready.
- Practice social distancing.
- Check parks pages for closures/crowds (super important, especially with fire closures!)
Tip #4 Leave The Trail Better Than You Found It
(The Pitfall: You Don’t Know The General Rules Of The Trail)
There aren’t many restrictions to getting outside, but there are a few rules you should be aware of.
First and foremost, please learn and practice the 7 Leave No Trace Principles. This way, you can keep nature wild and beautiful for all of us to enjoy for many years to come.
In addition to the LNT principles, it’s nice to know general rules of the trail so everyone can have a safe and enjoyable hike.
General Rules Of The Trail:
- Downhill hikers step off to the side and yield to uphill hikers.
- Hikers yield to equestrians.
- Mountain bikers yield to equestrians and hikers.
- Horses are easily startled, so be sure to speak to equestrians with a soft voice.
Tip #5 Be An Awesome Trail Visitor
(The Pitfall: There Is None! This Is A Win-Win)
When you’re an awesome trail visitor, you set a great example for others.
How To Set A Great Example On The Trail:
- Use headphones to enjoy your music.
- Maintain control of your pets:
- Check with the wilderness area you are visiting to know if pets are allowed and if they are required to be on leash.
- Please make sure to plan accordingly and pack out any dog waste.
- Enjoy your rest breaks on durable surfaces off the main trail.
- Embrace the Leave No Trace 7 Principles.
- Have a great hike!
Time To Start Hiking!
Sign Up For The 52 Hike Challenge Now + Bonus
Now you are well prepared to set out into the great outdoors safely and responsibly. You will love the mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits of getting outside.
Are you ready to transform your life one step at a time?
Click here to sign up for the 52 Hike Challenge now and commit to taking 52 hikes in a year!
Also, as a little thank you, we are offering you 10% off any merchandise you purchase to help you stay motivated on your challenge!
Just use code: 10TOSI21 at checkout through 6/30/2021.